Rush Gook Died This Year

As I'm sure most fans of old time radio have already noted, 2012 is not only the year of the Mayan Zombie apocalypse, it's the year that Mister Rush Gook, son of Vic and Sade from the small house half-way up in the next block, died:

ANNOUNCER: A bright noon-day sun is beaming down on the small house half-way up in the next block as our scene opens now, and here in the swing on the front porch we discover Mr. and Mrs. Victor Gook enjoying a beautiful May day and awaiting that moment when the meat on the kitchen stove shall have finished cooking. And the wife is saying to the husband...

SADE: Ain't that a summer sun for ya though?

VIC: That's a summer sun for me because this is a summer day.

SADE: Yes, but I never think of it's bein' really summer till June comes an' it's always warm. You take it in the middle of May an' some mornings a person could even stand a fire in the furnace.

VIC: Uh-huh.

SADE: Ya know somethin' we could do when summer actually gets here?

VIC: No.

SADE: Run a hedge out by the front side-walk.

VIC: That's up to the land-lord.

SADE: He wouldn't do anything like that. Hedges are expensive.

VIC: Well, why should we pay out money to decorate somebody else's house?

SADE: We're the fellas that's got to live here.

VIC: I can live here without a hedge runnin' along the front side-walk.

SADE: Guess we would be foolish to stand an expense like that ourselves. But you know that land-lord: it was like pullin' teeth to get him to paper the big bed-room last year.

VIC: Uh-huh.

SADE: He hangs onto his nickels like Grant took Richmond.

VIC: Well, he's smart at that. If I was rentin' a house I think I'd be about as stingy as...

SADE: Here comes a fella.

VIC: What fella is that?

SADE: Fella named Rush. Comin' around the corner from Kelsey.

VIC: Ah, yes - my man-child.

SADE: What a monster he's gettin' to be. I never realize how he's growin' till I see him off at a distance an' catch sight of him all of a sudden. Person's kids get enormous right under your nose.

VIC: Certainly do. Pretty soon he'll be so big I'll be scared to thrash him within an inch of his life like I do every Saturday.

SADE: [Giggles] Don't believe you ever did give him a downright lickin', did ya?

VIC: I believe the young man's memory is dotted with memories of considerable pain as inflicted by the sturdy arm of his pop.

SADE: You never hit him with anything bigger'n a little switch.

VIC: I've always found the flat of my hand brought results.

SADE: You got a good tough hand. [Giggles] I tried that one time an' almost killed myself it hurt so bad.

VIC: He have somethin' in his pocket?

SADE: No. He had corduroy pants on an' my poor hand just burned. Never hurt Rush the least bit. Finally I quit an' we both hadda laugh. [Laughs]

VIC: [Chuckles]

SADE: About that hedge though, they are so pretty in the summer time. If we got one like Mis' Harris's got we wouldn't even need to bother much trimmin' it. Hers come from a place in Chicago an' it's s'posed to... [Calls] All right, mister, use the side-walk.

RUSH: [off] I can always fool you with that fake lunge, Mom.

SADE: [To Rush, knowingly] Uh-huh. [To Vic] Fake lunge nothin'. He'd cut across the grass.

VIC: Um.

SADE: Say, there's another reason to have a hedge. Keeps kids from trompin' on...

RUSH: [Closer] Not talkin' about me, I hope.

VIC: [Raises voice] Who'd waste time on a subject like that.

RUSH: [Closer] Bet two berries I can tell ya just what Mom was sayin'.

SADE: What was I sayin'?

RUSH: [Up] You were sayin', "This summer it's gonna be different. That boy is altogether too big to be trompin' down grass like a three-year old baby." That correct?

SADE: I wasn't sayin' anything of the kind, smarty.

RUSH: All right then, here's what you were sayin'. You were sayin'...

SADE: Sit down an' rest your bones.

RUSH: Dinner not ready, huh?

SADE: No.

RUSH: Move over, Gov.

VIC: [Moving over] Um.

SADE: [Moving over] You get any bigger, Son, an' your mother get any fatter, there won't be room for all of us in this porch swing.

RUSH: [Chuckles] Yeah.

VIC: Plannin' on a little studyin' this noon, Quick-Lime?

RUSH: No, I just brought home my geography book to keep my chart in. Wanta keep it clean. Gonna frame it.

VIC: What chart is that?

RUSH: Just a chart us eighth-grade kids hadda make out this morning. Another one of Superintendent Chinbunny's ideas.

VIC: Superintendent Chinbunny come on deck again today?

RUSH: No, but teacher's meetin' was last Friday at the high school an' he made a speech to 'em. Miss Kinney told us this morning what he said in the speech.

VIC: Anything interesting?

RUSH: Lotsa things interesting. Here's the scheme he doped out. He figures every kid just entering high school should plan their...

SADE: Excuse me, Son. Vic, ya know what we'd hafta do if we did run a hedge out front?

VIC: Water it?

SADE: No, ya don't water hedges. Here's what I was gonna say: we'd hafta run it clear around to the side of the house. It looks unfinished to see a hedge just end.

VIC: Expect it does.

SADE: Mis' Kilgore over on Elder street's got a hedge that ends like that. Always makes me think of a little dinky fence.

VIC: Um.

RUSH: Boy, this certainly is a swell day.

SADE: Summer day.

RUSH: Yeah.

VIC: What was that scheme of Chinbunny's, Wet-wash?

RUSH: It's a scheme he wants to see go in actual practice in every grade school in the city.

SADE: Mr. Chinbunny's always got schemes in his noodle, ain't he?

RUSH: Yeah.

SADE: Ruthie told me Mis' Johnson's daughter Harriet that works in the Board of Education office told her Mr. Chinbunny was a real up-an'-comer. Got some stunt cookin' in the fryin' pan twenty-one hours outa the day.

RUSH: He's generally on the go all right, Superintendent Chinbunny.

SADE: Well, I'm glad they give it to a younger man. That ol' Mr. Robertson poked around an' never done nothin'. Harriet told Ruthie half the time he never knew... There goes Mis' Frost. l didn't see her. [Calls] Hello, Mis' Frost. [Aside] Oh, she don't hear good, does she.

RUSH: No.

SADE: Why didn't one of you fellas say she was walkin' by? I was lookin' at the yard where I'd like to put my hedge.

RUSH: She didn't go by, Mom. She come out of Call's house.

SADE: Oh, she did? Wonder what on earth she was doin' in there.

RUSH: [Who wouldn't know] Um.

VIC: What's Uncle Chinbunny's latest mental creation, Ike? You didn't get around to that.

RUSH: Well, he's got the idea every kid - girl or boy - when they reach the age of thirteen years should start workin' on a plan for their future life.

SADE: [Approvingly] Uh-huh. That sounds like him.

VIC: What kind of a plan, Arthur?

RUSH: Just an ordinary plan. A chart, get the angle, so ya don't waste time foolin' around. Figure out how you're gonna put in your time an' then put in your time that way.

VIC: Oh. You kids make yourselves charts like that this morning?

RUSH: Some of us did. Ya see Miss Kinney said anybody that had any ideas about their future life could work on a chart an' not go to geography recitation.

VIC: I see.

RUSH: Care to look at my chart? I got it all done.

VIC: Yeah. Whip it out.

RUSH: [Getting it out of his book] It looks kinda scribbly because I wrote it in pencil. Think maybe I'll ask Lawrence Kirby's sister to typewrite it for me. Here it is.

VIC: Uh-huh.

RUSH: Want me to read you some of it?

VIC: Go ahead.

RUSH: I'm gonna read about what I got doped out for my future life, Mom.

SADE: All right.

RUSH: [Reads] Future Life Chart of Rush Gook. Edwards School. Nineteen-thirty-five. VIC &

SADE: Uh-huh.

RUSH: Here's where it starts now. [Reads] 1935 to 1939 - attend high school.

SADE: [Giggles] Four years all at a clatter, huh?

RUSH: That's the way it's s'posed to be. As I go along I can put sub-heads in my chart for weeks an' months, appreciate the slant?

SADE: Yes.

RUSH: All right. [Reads] 1935 to 1939 - attend high school. 1939 to 1943 - attend college.

SADE: Nineteen-forty-three sounds like a million years off.

RUSH: That's only eight years from now. See, I got the different ages I'll be written down too. In 1943 I'll be twenty-one.

SADE: Goodness, I'll be... Oh, my, hate to think of it.

RUSH: Well, anyway, [Reads] 1935 to 1939 - attend high school. 1939 to 1943 - attend college. 1943 to 1947 - attend medical school.

VIC & SADE: Medical school?

RUSH: Yeah, I decided to be a doctor.

VIC & SADE: When?

RUSH: This morning. A guy's got to be somethin'. I might as well be a doctor. What the heck.

VIC: Have you thought about bein' a doctor much?

RUSH: No, it just happened to occur to me this morning.

SADE: Oh, goodness, Son, little boys can't tell what they're gonna be all in a minute.

RUSH: Don't see why not. Is it agreeable with you folks if I be a doctor?

SADE: Sure, but lands.

RUSH: It's all settled then; I'll be a doctor. O.K. - [Reads] 1943 to 1947 - attend medical school. 1947 to 1949 - be interne in hospital. [Aside] Gotta do that before ya get your license an' hot water bottle an' knife an' pills an' chloroform an' junk, see?

VIC & SADE: Uh-huh.

RUSH: Let's see here: when I'm all graduated an' a doctor an' everything in 1949, I'll be twenty-seven years old.

SADE: Think of that, Vic, he'll be twenty-seven years old.

VIC: Uh-huh. Our son can come around to the ol' folks home an' give us a free shot of castor oil.

RUSH: Sure thing.

VIC: What's next after internin' in the hospital?

RUSH: [Reads] 1949 to 1950 - trip to Europe.

VIC: Hey, hey.

RUSH: I'll be tired, grasp the point? Here I been to school ever since I was six. Now I'm twenty-seven. Twenty-one years I been to school. Almost a quarter of a century. I deserve a trip to Europe.

SADE: [Giggles] Guess ya do at that, Son.

RUSH: Darn right.

VIC: Who's gonna buy your ticket to Europe?

RUSH: Maybe you will, huh?

VIC: O.K.

RUSH: Thanks.

VIC: Forget it. When ya get back from Europe, what?

RUSH: [Reads]... Ah... 1950 to 1955 - run doctor's office.

SADE: Nineteen-fifty-five - gracious.

RUSH: Yeah, nineteen-fifty-five. I'll be thirty-three years old.

SADE: Where ya gonna put your doctor's office?

RUSH: Oh, I don't care. Where'd be a good place?

SADE: I don't know, I'm sure.

RUSH: I can think about that later on. No rush.

VIC: No rush particularly. You got twenty years to pick a spot.

RUSH: Uh-huh. Well... [Reads] 1950 to 1955 - mmm run doctor's office. 1955 to 1956 - get married.

SADE: Get married?

RUSH: Sure. I'll be thirty-three years old.

SADE: Who ya gonna marry?

RUSH: I'll dig up a lady somewhere. Oughta be plenty of ladies around willin' to marry a rich doctor.

SADE: My gracious.

VIC: How ya know you'll be rich?

RUSH: I been runnin' my doctor's office for five years, ain't I?

VIC: That's right.

RUSH: O.K. - [Reads] 1955 to 1956 - get married. 1956 to 1957 - get married. Oh, I'm already married. Mistake here. Hafta fix that.

VIC: I'll say.

RUSH: 1956 to 1957 - trip to Europe.

VIC: Another mistake. You been to Europe.

RUSH: My wife ain't. She oughta have a little vacation.

VIC: Sure she ought to, poor kid.

RUSH: Well - 1957 to 1967 - run doctor's office. 1967 - to 1968 trip to Europe.

VIC: Oughta be a lot of ya this time?

RUSH: Uh-huh, I'll be forty-five years old. [Reads] 1968 to 1978 run doctor's office. 1978 to 1988 - enter politics.

VIC: Gettin' in kinda late, ain't ya?

RUSH: I'll be sixty-five years old.

VIC: Uh-huh.

RUSH: Nice age to get elected governor or somebody.

VIC: Peach of an age.

RUSH: [Reads] 1988 to 1998 - hold office an' fool around makin' public speeches. 1998 to twenty hundred - retire an' take trip to Europe.

SADE: Gracious - the year twenty hundred.

RUSH: Uh-huh. Gov, don'tcha think I got another trip to Europe comin' in 1998? I'll be seventy-five years old.

VIC: You got it comin' all right.

RUSH: [Reads] Twenty-hundred to twenty-hundred an' ten - loaf around an' see all the ball-games. [Aside] I'll be retired, appreciate the slant?... have plenty of time for baseball.

VIC: Yeah.

RUSH: [Reads] Twenty-hundred an' twelve - die.

SADE: Die?

RUSH: Sure. I'll be eighty-seven years old. Prob'ly die in around there somewhere.

SADE: [Disturbed] Gracious, gracious me!

RUSH: [Reads] Twenty-hundred an' twelve - die, an' have a great big monument with electric lights on it.

SADE: [A little faint] Oh.

RUSH: Ain't that a snappy life-time, Gov?

VIC: It sure is, Sport.

RUSH: Ain't that a snappy life-time, Mom?

SADE: Yes.

RUSH: Boy, that's what I call a high-class life-time. [Laughs at what a high class life-time it is... and fades laughing]

ANNOUNCER: During the past fifteen minutes we have had the pleasure of looking into the future and examining a high-class lifetime as lived by Mister Rush Gook of Virginia Avenue.

Comments

Popular Posts