An Experiment

I've always had a nagging suspicion about winamp--that the shuffle feature is not truly random. The strongest reinforcement to this creeping belief came to me at Sei's house this past October, when we were hanging out prior to Melissa's wedding. We casually turned on the computer, cued up "En la Casa de Ines" and reminisced about driving along a slick Andalusian road between Cordoba and Baena. My jaw dropped when the next song winamp chose was "Asereje"! (The point being that these songs are both recent, extremely catchy Spanish pop songs. Not much of a coincidence if Sei were an afficianado of Spanish pop, but regarding the circumstances I think it's worth noting.)

So, tonight, in the spirt of my new blog and while I was folding my laundry, I decided to record the "random" songs and see if there was anything to my theory. Here are the results, in order they were played:

1. "Love Me" Marty Robbins
2. "Heart of the Matter" The Kendalls
3. "Since I've Been Loving You" Led Zepellin
4. "Who Am I to Cast the First Stone" Hank Locklin
5. "Rope" Martina McBride
6. "Jesus Is Just Alright" Doobie Brothers
7. "Wunderbar" Gordon McCrae and Jo Stafford
8. "Rocking All over the World" Status Quo
9. "You'll Never Walk Alone" Gerry and the Pacemakers
10. "Leatherwood" Ozark Mountain Daredevils

Strong proof that winamp is not truly random! This is almost perfect -- starting strongly in country (including the best country song ever, "Heart of the Matter") -- with a short detour to highlight Led Zepellin's strong roots in American Music. Then, a barely perceptible shift to country-rock and British stuff. The only jarring song is "Wunderbar," and that can be forgiven for that great beginning couplet:

"Gazing down on the Jungfrau,
From our secret chalet for two ..."

Comments

Popular Posts