Chapter Seven

CHAPTER 7

The steely sun sunk lower in the grizzled sky.

“Where are we?” Lionel asked, brushing clumps of mud from his shoes.

“First smart question you ask me all day,” answered Ettore.

“Well, perhaps you’ll engage me with an answer.”

“Just outside of Kalininsk.”

“Hmmm. Russia. About forty miles to Saratov. I remember studying the coal mine here, part of Gorlovka before the Revolution …”

Ettore nodded grimly and began to pace back and forth across the muddy field. Lionel rubbed his head. “And why, pray, when I woke up, were you watching a Korean costume drama?”

“Here in the middle of nowhere, not much to choose from. Korean costume drama, British political comedy, crap.”

“Ettore, you’re exasperating me. Why did we leave Namibia?”

“Lüderitz too hot to handle. You’ll see. Courtney girl, she messed up.”

“Well, Kalininsk, here we come!” Lionel smiled. “Ettore, my friend, hand me one of those spades.”

Comments

Popular Posts