Kölsch Taste Test

I had no idea what Kölsch was until about a month ago. At that point I was reading an architecture forum that strayed onto the topic of favorite beers. And the favorite of most of the German forumers was Früh Kölsch. I decided to go to my local liquor store and see if I could find it. They didn't have any Früh, but they had Gaffel and Reissdorf Kölsch. Neither was cheap. The Gaffel was $2.50 a bottle, and the Reissdorf was $2.99 a bottle.

From the Gaffel bottle, I discovered that Kölsch is beer made in Cologne according to laws supposedly as strict as the famous Rheinheitsgebot purity laws. The beer itself is sparkling and golden and has a very pleasing foamy head.

Which beer was better? The bottles are over a pint each, so it's hard to remember my exact reaction to each (and the fact that I had the Reissdorf with some cheap Pakastani carryout may have influenced things, also). But I felt the Gaffel had a more complex, rolicking flavor, while the Reissdorf was more hoppy and upfront. So my vote, in the form of two more bottles purchased today, was with the Gaffel.

Comments

Popular Posts