I May Never See You Again

To make amends for my failure to participate in my own Bad Smiths Lyrics contest, and with the fresh inspiration of reading some great country music lyrics over on the Midlothian Campaign, I thought I'd post one of the bad country music lyrics I used to write when I was really bored at work and really into the early Countrypolitan sound of the '70's. So without further ado, I present one of my favorites from that misbegotten ouvre (clearly indebted to "Help Me Make It through the Night" and "I Love My Friend"):

"I May Never See You Again"

Your body's warm, I feel your heart beatin',
When just an hour ago I was lonesome and cold.
I never knew I'd find what I was needin'
Where the lonely man's drink is sold.

An empty bar, except your eyes pleadin'
And a double whisky just waitin' for me.
You said you'd never even thought of cheatin',
But tonight you need a man's company.

Chorus:
Baby, your eyes, why are they cryin'?
Whey do you shiver when I hold you tight?
There ain't nothin' wrong with the lies were lyin',
Or the lovin' way we spent the night.
'Cause you know, if your touch is warm you'll be my friend,
Even though I may never see you again.

The morning light means I should be leaving.
We'll share one last tender kiss to say good-bye.
It's not you and me that your tears are greivin',
'Cause our love never lived long enough to die.

Repeat chorus.

Comments

Popular Posts