Umquhile

While reading "The Fair Maid of Perth" last night, I came across the following sentence:

"So please you, my liege," answered Sir Patrick, rising up, "this
woman, and these unhappy orphans, make plaint to your Highness
upon Sir John Ramorny of Ramorny, Knight, that by him, or by some
of his household, her umquhile husband, Oliver Proudfute, freeman
and burgess of Perth, was slain upon the streets of the city on
the eve of Shrove Tuesday or morning of Ash Wednesday."

I had never seen the word 'umquhile' before, so I decided to do a quick search. Just to prove once again the scope of the internet, here's a bit of a conversation I found discussing the word:

>>> >> >Hi all,
>>> >> >
>>> >> >Can anyone tell me what 'umquhile' means, as in "lawful daughters to
>>> >> >umquhile John, etc. ?
>>> >>
>>> >> Online dictionary at DataSegment.com says, "Umquhile \Um"quhile\ (?),
>>adv.
>>> >> [Cf. OF. umwhile for a time. See While.] Some time ago; formerly.
>>[Scot.]
>>> >"
>>> >>
>>> >> Review of several (20+) documents found searching Google shows that
>>> >> umquhile seems to be used in wills and court documents to mean
>>'deceased'.

Comments

Popular Posts