13 Going on 30: A Compound Error

I received "13 Going on 30" sometime last week, and quickly into the movie I realized it was completely aimed toward the sensibilities of teenage girls. The DVD started skipping right when the evil friend sells out Jennifer Garner, so I ended up fast-forwarding through the resolution to the happy ending. One thing that bugged me was that the "13" portion of the movie was set in 1987, but all the music they used was from 1982. I was expecting "Girlfriend" and "Looking for a New Love" and got "Jesse's Girl." I think the movie could have taken on a subersive tone if, instead of "Thriller," Jennifer Garner had chosen "Shake Your Love" to get the modern, trendy New Yorkers dancing.

What's compounding the error of renting the DVD is that I think I lost it. I remember putting it back into its Netflix envelope, but I can't recall if I mailed it back or not. Every day, I keep on hoping for the email saying it has safely returned to its Netflix home, but the waiting's been in vain. I hope I didn't accidently throw it out.

Comments

Popular Posts