Red Eye Experience

Over Shanghai dumplings, the point was made that I didn't need to show up at the airport two hours before my red eye flight from San Francisco to Chicago. But I had just called United and they said that because the flight was overbooked and I didn't have a seat assignment I might not make it onto the flight. Over the strong objections of my friends, I arrived at the airport at 9:30 for the 11:30 flight and was immediately given an aisle seat in the EconomyPlus section (extra legroom). I killed a good portion of the wait by checking out the current exhibit in the SFO airport hallway -- a fascinating history of California tile-making:



But when it was time to board the plane, the pilot discovered an electrical problem. So we had to wait for a new plane to come from the hanger -- an extra two hour delay -- meaning that we didn't take off until 1:30 in the morning. When I arrived in Chicago at seven o'clock after only a few short periods of sleep on the plane, I was quite cranky. I wanted to punch each member, individually, of the happy family jabbering next to me at baggage claim.

Not much point to this story, but that I want to post more on my blog in 2005 -- and (in answer to a comment below), I missed the rest of Dae Jang Geum on TV, so I can't post more recaps until I buy the DVDs!

Comments

Popular Posts