Expensive Salt

About a year ago, I was paging through a book about magnesium and how it's missing from the modern American diet. The book suggested using sea salt as a good way to get more magnesium in your diet -- while avoiding the unpleasant aspects of taking epsom salts.

I happened to be at Whole Foods soon after reading that, so I grabbed a small packet of sea salt. I didn't realize until I got home that I had paid $20 for about a half cup of of salt. It was painstakingly combed from the tidal flats of Brittany, or something like that. I was too lazy to return it, but I never could figure out how to use it and still feel like I was getting my money's worth. I put it on some popcorn when I ran out of regular salt once, but it tasted exactly like its much cheaper cousin.

Recently, I discovered that the sea salt tastes very good on plain brown rice. It adds a little bit of crunch along with its salty flavor. So that's how I'm going to use up my expensive salt!

Comments

Popular Posts