Good-bye Winamp

I unistalled winamp from my computer last night, something I wouldn't have imagined myself doing only a couple days ago.

Here's how it happened. I accidentally gained access to Don Quichote by Massenet, not as mp3's but as flac files. I had never heard of flac, but a quick internet search gave me the insight that it stands for "free audio lossless codec," or, in other words a format that compresses music files but doesn't result in loss of quality like mp3's.

I didn't feel like deleting the files or never listening to them, but winamp wouldn't play them. So I downloaded the Musik player, which can play flac files. The slogan is "It's better than a kick in the nuts" which seems odd (until you realize that was developed by a German named Gunnar).

But, in terms of playing music, so far so good. It plays the flac files like a charm, and it has a much better interface than Winamp for being able to quickly access individual songs out of a large group of files.

So, good-bye Winamp, at least for now.

Comments

Popular Posts