New Winnipeg Airport

My car has been using up a lot of my time this past week (two rims and tires needed to be replaced, dog puke needed to be cleaned up and the oil needed to be changed) -- but I just returned from an early Sunday morning trip to Jiffy Lube, so the Proto should be good to go without further modifications for a couple of months (knocking on wood). I was a little early arriving at Jiffy Lube, so I took a drive around the Lawndale neighborhood -- which, between the two World Wars, was a center of the Jewish community in Chicago. Now, all the huge synagogues along Douglas Boulevard are Baptist churches, and the neighborhood looks pretty desolate. Sears was also headquartered in Lawndale -- I drove by the tower of their old merchandise building on my way north. (Here's an interesting book review, offering a theory why the heat wave death totals were much higher in North Lawndale than in South Lawndale.)

On a different note, here are some pictures of the new airport terminal in Winnipeg designed by Caesar Pelli. It looks nice, but I think I might miss the old airport's low-keyness.

Comments

Popular Posts