Three Fruits Native to North America

For weeks, I've been telling everybody I know that blueberries, cranberries and Concord grapes are the only three native North American fruits. And I've been saying that without remembering where I heard it or knowing whether or not it was correct or not. An authority no less than the Economist also makes that claim in a story about cranberries:

"The cranberry is one of only three fruits native to North America, growing wild from Maine to North Carolina. (The others are the Concord grape and the blueberry.)"

But even with only a cursory search I turned up another native North American fruit, the pawpaw:

"Fred Kight reports from Athens, Ohio, on the comeback of the pawpaw, a green-and-yellow fruit native to North America, but with a tropical flavor. Some say it could be a replacement crop for farmers no longer growing tobacco."

What are we to believe?

Comments

Popular Posts