Reg Shaped Like the US?

Scant internet documentation. Here's what Netsch says about the Regenstein in an oral history project:

"I think I have always tried to adapt my architecture to my local client. If you
do a history of libraries I designed before Field Theory, they show that the
library for Grinnell is the library for Grinnell. The library for Northwestern is
for Northwestern, and Regenstein is Regenstein. They are all very different
buildings, and this was for very different academic cultures. But when you
talk about the differences with using Field Theory, then you have the
differences in form and attitude, but you still have a very strong geometrical
end. The Northwestern Library has a strong geometrical form. The
Regenstein didn’t because the client really did not want Field Theory. I had
done some Field Theory studies, and he said, “Absolutely no. We don’t want
it on this campus.” It was a Gothic campus."

The similarity to the outline of the United States cannot be denied, however:

Comments

Popular Posts