A Couple Thoughts That Make Up a Post

This weekend, I was wandering through Humboldt Park walking the dog. As I neared Division from the north, I spotted a statue off to my west at the corner of Humboldt Boulevard. I decided to walk over and see who it was overlooking the busy intersection. Much to my surprise, it was a statue of Fritz Reuter, one of my favorite authors (writer of such classics as Seed-time and Harvest, Seven Years of My Life and In the Year '13) and one of the last people I would have expected to see commerated in a statue in the neighborhood next to mine. I would have taken a picture with my camera phone, but I forgot to bring it along.

Later, I was at the grocery store, and I noticed a can of spray-on baking oil. The odd thing was that it advertised itself as "A Fat-Free Food." I looked at the ingredients, and it was 100% oil. But the suggested serving size was so small, it only added an "insignificant amount" of fat to any recipe. So, in other words, it was completely made of fat, but it could advertise itself as a fat-free food.

I think, if you stretch your mind, you'll find that these two stories illustrate everything that's right and wrong with our country today ...

Comments

Popular Posts