I Couldn't Agree More

I came across this post via Atrios, and I couldn't agree more. I feel the same way about the Bay Area. Every time I visit San Francisco, I moan and wail about the lack of new construction in such a high priced city. If it were up to me, 19th Avenue and Sunset would be lined with twenty story buildings.

Here's my favorite part:

What's shocking is that many New York liberals -- like most liberals in urban areas- talk a great game on poverty and the environment at the national level, but in the biggest area where they fully control economic policy-- urban planning -- they have made "lifestyle" choices through their elected representatives as destructive to equity and the environment as the suburban SUV drivers they usually disdain.

Housing is the largest expense for most families, yet the main housing policy of urban liberalism is to block new housing and drive up the costs. This is the quiet suicide of urban liberalism, as working class voters are driven into the welcoming embrace of "red state" suburban sprawl.

Comments

Popular Posts