Marshall McGearty Tobacco Lounge

For weeks, I've been getting brochures and flyers urging me to stop by the new Marshall McGearty Tobacco Lounge in my neighborhood. When I looked at the small type on the flyer and saw R.J. Reynolds, I had to appreciate that a large corporation had the money to burn on such a flight of whimsical marketing innovation (although I would have preferred another coupon for a free pack of Pall Malls).

But it also brought to mind something else that's been intriguing to me. When I lived in zip code 60659, the junk mail I received was primarily for international long distance plans and tire changes. Now that I live in 60622, I'm being barraged with offers for trendy gyms, singles clubs, etc. I also get called about once a week to take part in some sort of consumer survey. But, proving the limits of zip code based profiling, unfortunately, I'm still as geeky in 60622 as I was in 60659.

Comments

Popular Posts