King Of Beers?

Not in Germany.

Seems Anheuser-Busch got the World Cup deal, and it's not making Germans very happy.

IT IS brown-gold and alcoholic but, then, in the scathing verdict of German beer fans, so is paint thinner...

[W]hat most upsets the fans is that Budweiser--advertised as the "King of Beers" in the US--fails to meet the ancient German standards for purity, which stipulate that beer can be brewed only from malt, hops and water. Budweiser uses rice in its production process and therefore does not qualify as a beer in the German sense.

Budweiser’s World Cup status is a slap in the face for a country that attaches such importance to beer production.

Now, I'm not a huge Budweiser fan, though I think it's generally ok, and I'll drink it. But I have to say, for some reason, this article sort of raised my hackles--got me feeling patriotic. We like "beer" here in the good ol' US of A, too, and we do it our way. (Ok, so my favorite beer is from Canada, but close enough. And I don't like Miller, but that's beside the point.) So, I say, you're either for Budweiser, or you're against US!

Maybe this will be the beginning of my days of being a U.S. soccer fan...

Comments

Popular Posts