The Lucky Dollhouse

I'm going to be out of town for a couple of days visiting our nation's capital. But after that, I hope to return to a more regular blog posting schedule. Before I leave, I wanted to tell the story of how I became the owner of a $700 dollhouse.

It started when I went to the anniversary event for one of the clients at my new job. They were having a silent auction of architect-designed dollhouses, and it was the beginning of the evening, so I thought I was safe to put down a bid right at the top of the list for the cheapest (and ugliest, I later realized) dollhouse. Two other people had bid, and the maximum bid was somewhere in the thousands, so I felt safe writing down $700 next to my name. I felt even safer when someone from the organization said that a lot of the dollhouses were going for their maximum bid.

Then, the moment of truth came. A local news anchor was reading off the names of the winners from the stage. When she said, "Peter ... Shh ... Show?" my co-workers all erupted into raucus cheers. They said, with that, my hazing was complete.

But in a sign of, perhaps, karma, I received an unexpected check for $500 this week. Faithful Inter-Ocean Parabolic readers may remember that I hit a monster pothole last year on my way to a phantom Panda Express. Well, I made a claim to the city of Chicago for that mishap, and they agreed with my argument and decided to pay a portion of the damages to my car. They just needed over a year to send the check. In that time, left to my own devices, I bought a very expensive dollhouse.

Comments

Popular Posts