More Similarities Than Differences?

Over at the Midlothian Campaign, not so very long ago, there was some discussion about that religion thing again, and whether there are more similarities than differences among the world's "major religions." On and off blog, I had mentioned to Carrie that I thought of Buddhism more as a philosophy than a religion, sort of like Taoism. Meaning, if you are going to discuss the world's "major religions," I guess you should define what you are considering as "religions."

Anyway, I just happened to be reminded of that topic tonight, when I came across this article about "Jubus"--Jewish Buddhists. (I linked through from somewhere else, but I forgot where, so I can't do that blogging credit thing that is supposed to be good etiquette.) Apparently, Jewish Buddhism is the latest thing out there in southern California (ok, actually, the article mentions the latest survey as to how many there are was done in the 1970's).

Some more research is probably in order, but for now, I found this definition of Buddhism in the article interesting:
Essentially, Buddhism creates a solitary and quiet path away from suffering and toward a moral life based on an all-inclusive vision of interconnectedness, wisdom and compassion. A method for achieving that awareness is daily meditation. Being nondogmatic, Buddhism does not require that adherents join anything or reject anything — even the notion of God.
I did have a course on Buddhism in college, but I don't remember much--in fact, about all I remember is something about the story of Siddharta Gautama having a privileged upbringing but going out and wandering around to discover enlightenment, or something like that--and that there are the two main branches, Therevada and Mahayana.

Nonetheless, despite my general ignorance, I always had a vague feeling that I kind of (liked ?) Buddhism for some reason. Mostly, probably, because I like those Buddha statues. Especially the seated Buddha--he seems totally peaceful to me. That's why I like it. I have a small one at work that Mom and Dad brought back when they visited Nick in Japan, and I have a larger one at home. I know what some of you are thinking--but I have to say, just because I have them, I have to disagree that, that means I am worshipping false idols.

Comments

Popular Posts