Poker, my OCD, and Middle Earth

On Saturday, my in-laws (Liz and Mom) hosted a very nice graduation party for me (yes, another degree) and it eventually devolved into poker game. Pete required a lot of coaxing to play, "I always lose money," but someone lit a fire under that boy, because he was getting cards and reading people very well. Anyway, at the end of the night, I had a good hand, and bet most of my chips in a hi-low game (possibility of the split pot). I lost both the high and low and Pete walked away the big winner.

That night, I decided to run the Bay to Breakers the next day. But when I woke up at 630a, it was raining and I decided that although running 7.5 miles surrounded by naked drunk people sounded like fun, doing it in the rain didn't. So I tried to go back to sleep. It was a fitful sleep, but when I woke up and I was showering I realized that I had played the last hand of the game over and over again in my mind. In my dreams, I was convinced that I had the better low hand, but I didn't see it and so I let Pete take the pot. It was bothering me so much I sat down and wrote down my memory of the cards, and I'm happy to report that I'm pretty sure that Pete actually did have the best low hand. My memory of the hand, via restless dreams:

My hand: 3, 3, 4, 8
Pete's hand: 2, 2, 3, 7

Community cards: A, 2, 4, 8, (Q or 6?)

So I think the 5th community card was a Q, but in my dreams it was a 6.

So if the last card was a six (as I thought in my dream), I would have the Nut Low (6 high). But I think the last card was a Q, I would have 8 high, whereas Pete would have 7 high. (Pete won the high w/3 2's)

Anyway, at 3pm, my tolerance for rain was a lot higher than at 630am, so I went for a hard, cold, wet bike ride in the East Bay Hills. It was a little drizzly when I started but as I climbed, I got into the clouds and most of the ride felt very otherworldly. The trees were drip-dripping water, the mist was racing past the treetops, and not surprisingly there was no one else out there. I was pretty much caked w/mud when I got done, but felt good. I felt even better after a hot shower and a peppermint patty.

And, no updates on the baby watch.

Comments

Popular Posts