Coincidence and the Nudibranch

As an example of how the human mind can amplify random events into patterns of spurious associations, consider the nudibranch.

Free Image Hosting at www.ImageShack.us

Before this week, I had never taken any notice of the nudibranch, a colorful sea slug. But then I had to do a little research about these hermaphroditic creatures for a project at work. Imagine my surprise when I wandered over to Boing Boing, and discovered this post about an artist's conception of giant, amorous nudibranchs wandering the streets of Los Angeles.

My first thought was, wow, some mystic force is bringing nudibranchs into the public conciousness and, more specifically, into my life. But, upon further reflection, I've come to understand that it's just a combination of coincidence and heightened awareness on my part.

Unless the nudibranchs are about to hatch their long fostered plot to take over the world.

Comments

Popular Posts