Disheartening

Last night, I was standing in line at a beverage mart in Jack London Square.

I stepped up to the register with my 12-pack of Coors and a bottle of lambrucso. As I prepared to pay, the young cashier looked me in the eye and said, "You don't believe that, do you?"

I had no idea what she was talking about. Then she pointed to my chest and said, "Your t-shirt, I mean."

I was wearing a t-shirt with an American flag and the slogan "United We Stand."

I shook my head and said, "No, not right now ..."

Then, today, for the third time in four weeks, I had weekend plans that were cancelled at the last minute (for legitimate reasons). I decided today that, to heck with it, I'd carry out the plans by myself. That meant taking my dog for a walk in the Briones Recreation Area, about a half hour east of my house. As the day drew on, and Morgan looked at me more and more longingly, I just wandered around my apartment.

Finally, I decided I had to do something. But in the end, I decided it was probably too hot at Briones, so I just took Morgan to the nearby Sibley Park.

At that point, I realized that I was cancelling plans on myself; but it was a nice walk, anyway.

Comments

Popular Posts