Independence Daze

Yesterday, I was driving down Shattuck in Berkeley, with the goal of going to my bank to use the ATM. I saw the bank at the last minute and decided to make a quick left turn to park next to it. The intersection had a prominent sign that said no left turn until 7 p.m.; but for some reason I thought it was okay, even though it was only 4 o'clock in the afternoon. After I made the left turn, one of Berkeley's famously friendly residents yelled at me, "Can't you read, you idiot? No left turn!" He seemed a little cowed, however, when I pulled over and got out of my car.

Lucky for him, I wasn't in the mood to rumble. I walked up to my ATM, inserted my card, but grew angry again when the machine said it was going to charge me a fee for not being a Bank of the West customer. "But I am a Bank of the West customer," I thought as I cancelled the transaction. It was only then I saw that I was trying to withdraw cash using my grocery discout card.

As I headed home, I stopped at a hamburger stand and ordered a cheeseburger, french fries and slice of lemon cream pie. Can't get more 4th of July than that.

Comments

Popular Posts