Sleepless

It's currently 4:30 in the morning in midtown Manhattan. I've been here the past two days for a conference, and the combination of all the gadflying and rich food, on top of the three hour time difference, means that I'm wide awake, after sleeping from 11 to 4.

I did have some free time this afternoon, so I took the chance to do what's become a habit lately on these East Coast trips. I went belt shopping. When I went into the Brooks Brothers on Fifth Ave. and asked where there belts were, the sales person said, "You mean dress belts?" I couldn't quite hear what she said, so I said, "A belt to wear around my waist," at the same time motioning to that area.

She said, a little testily, "Yes, I know. The dress belts are upstairs by the shoes." And yet another sales person standing next to her added haughtily, "We have casual belts, also."

Comments

Popular Posts