Sardinian Cuisine

I read a review of a Sardinian restaurant a while back, and I've been meaning to give it a try. Part of my interest was my realization that I know practically nothing about Sardinia. Now I seem to be coming across Sardinian references all over the place. The most recent makes their cuisine seem all the more intriguing:

Derived from Pecorino Sardo, casu marzu goes beyond typical fermentation to a stage most would consider to be decomposition, brought about by the digestive action of the larvae of the cheese fly, Piophila casei. These larvae are deliberately introduced to the cheese, promoting an advanced level of fermentation and breaking down the cheese's fats. The texture of the cheese becomes very soft, with some liquid (called "lagrima") seeping out. The larvae themselves appear as transparent, white worms, about 8 mm (1/3 inch) long. When disturbed, the larvae can jump for distances up to 15 cm (6 inches), prompting recommendations of eye protection for those eating the cheese. Some people clear the larvae from the cheese before consuming; others do not.

Comments

Popular Posts