Safeway, Part II; The Battle Is Joined

After being told on Sunday that I should come back during the week to receive my indulgence of quarters from Safeway, I was greeted tonight by the same surly service desk employee. I was told by her that I was too late; I should have showed up on Monday if I wanted a roll of quarters.

I had just come from a very busy day at work, and my laundry clock is quickly ticking down before I need to leave on a business trip on Thursday, so perhaps my tone was bordering on the edge of curt when I asked her when she thought I might be able get some quarters from her.

Her reply to me, as you'll read below, prompted me to compete with my brother's storied Gamefly foray into the curmudgeon sweepstakes.

My email to Safeway customer service follows:

I just returned from your Safeway after asking for a roll of quarters. I am a regular customer and one that you value, if I can judge from the coupons you've sent me for free tartar sauce and hot dogs. But I have been told repeatedly that you cannot give me a roll of quarters, wasting my time and making me inclined to no longer shop at your store. I find it astounding that you will not offer even this simplest convenience. Tonight, I was told that "You are a not a bank" and that giving out quarters "was a favor" by the employee at your service desk. From my experience, it's a favor you rarely offer. If you want to compete on service, your Oakland store is failing miserably.

Comments

Popular Posts