Speaking of Earthquakes

This week, I'm dogsitting Nelly. As I was walking the two dogs in upper Piedmont last night (at Pacific and Dormidera), I felt a sudden ripple in my feet and heard a bang that sounded like the door of a shed closing. I told Morgan and Nelly, "That must have been an earthquake," but they didn't seem to notice.

When I got home, I discovered I was correct. It was a 3.7 magnitude earthquake centered just a few miles north of where I was. Here's a map showing the epicenter of the earthquake (the red square) and the location of Peter, Morgan and Nelly at the time (the green square):

Image Hosted by ImageShack.us

When I got to work this morning, some people were saying it felt quite strong inside their houses. But outside, it was just a quick ripple.

And then this morning, while I was walking the dogs again, I was approached by a jogger running with her dog. She saw that I had two dogs, so she circled around me into the street. But her dog suddenly lunged for Morgan and Nelly (who behaved admirably, remaining calm and collected). The dog pulled the jogger from her feet, and she landed flat on her face. I stopped to see if she was okay, but I couldn't approach her, because the dogs would make things worse. A couple other people stopped to check on her, and, finally, the woman got up, shook it off and walked away.

Two eventful dog walks!

Comments

Popular Posts