The Buy.com and Google Checkout Free Shipping Scam

I haven't posted a lot lately, because I've been busy writing fruitless emails to Buy.com and Google Checkout customer support (that, and watching online Boney M. videos).

Here's the story:

I decided to buy a pair of running shoes using the new Google Checkout feature on Buy.com. When I found the shoes I wanted, I was glad to see that Buy.com was offering me free shipping:

Image Hosted by ImageShack.us

Note in the image, it doesn't only say that the item qualifies for free shipping, but that the shipping is FREE.

I finished the process through Google Checkout, and, unfortunately, I didn't notice that, at the very last minute, they swapped out the free shipping and swapped in a $7 shipping charge:

Image Hosted by ImageShack.us

As soon as the receipt was emailed to me, I noticed that I was wrongly being charged for shipping. So I cancelled the order. Six days later, Buy.com emailed me to say I cancelled too late, and that the item had just shipped.

Since then, I've been writing emails to Buy.com and Google Checkout explaining my situation, and asking them to refund the shipping charges. I believe that Buy.com uses some sort of key word recognition computer program to answer their custumer service emails, because they keep on sending me the same message no matter what I write, only the name of the person signing the message changes.

Google Checkout has been more friendly in their emails, but, ultimately, they say there is nothing they can do. I told them I was shocked that Google was willing to associate their name with such an obvious bait and switch scam.

But, keeping my father's admonition in mind, I am not letting this get me angry. I just offer up my tale as a warning: Avoid Buy.com!

Comments

Popular Posts