A Walking Tour of Piedmont and Crocker Highlands

This morning, I decided to take my camera along on my Saturday morning walk with the dog. I circled through the city of Piedmont, which is just a half block away from my house, and then cut back though the Crocker Highlands section of Oakland to get home. It was before eight o'clock, so some of the picture are a little dark in the morning light. And if you notice that some snapshots look a little fuzzy, it's because I forgot I had set my camera to manual focus.

First, here is the sign notifying me that I'm entering Piedmont:


Piedmont is celebrating their centennial, so they're putting up historical markers all over town. If I had focused, you could read that this one says that there used to be an English hedge maze where the high school football field is now:


Here's the field that replaced it:



Lakeview Avenue has a lot of redwoods:



On Seaview Avenue, I walked by some of Piedmont's more impressive houses:



Another big house:



The heir to the Otis Spunkmeyer fortune supposedly lives somewhere around here:



These people should look into carpooling (also, note the sycamore in front of the house):



An artistic shot of Morgan sniffing the grass:



Leaving Piedmont and entering Oakland, where Florada Avenue becomes Portal Avenue:



Although it's a part of Oakland, the folks in Crocker Highlands aren't shy about having big houses, either:



Morgan and I are about to take a shortcut through one of Crocker Highlands' many footpaths. We've been duly warned:



This path was created so people who lived on Portal Avenue could cut through to Wala Vista Avenue and catch the Key Route Streetcar to San Francisco:



The intersection of Wala Vista and Lakeshore then:



And now (note that the number 13 bus route still follows the old steetcar route):



We've now circled back to the street where I live:



And 'ere's my 'umble 'ome:

Comments

Popular Posts