The Best Dog Food Available: How Do You Know?

Here is one source of info, with the following bit of advice:

Everybody wants the best for their pets. For me, this meant buying my dog, Winnie, the "premium" dog food. My dog, WinnieEven after trying several types of foods in her first two years of life, Winnie never seemed happy. After she'd been on Iams for a while -- the food my vet recommended -- she just stopped eating. She would take maybe two bites then leave the rest. I went to Earth Pets, my local holistic dog food store to see if there were any alternatives I could find. I was horrified by what I learned.

You may be disturbed, as I was, to find that you may be feeding your pet road kill, euthanized dogs, and chicken feet, even if you are spending $40 a bag on "premium" food.

The pet food industry has many dark secrets hidden behind the colorful bags and sentimental slogans. Most pet food companies are actually garbage bins for other companies owned by huge corporations. In those kibbles there's a truth that's not so appetizing.

To me, the biggest injustice is that there are pet owners out there who think they're doing the best for their dogs. I found out I was feeding my dog from one of the worst companies out there. You owe it to yourself and your animals to find out what you're really feeding them.

And then, here is AskVetAdvice.com's list of recommended pet foods:

Wysong Pet Food Products
Flint River Ranch
Solid Gold Health Products For Pets
Steve's Real Food For Pets
Nature's Recipe
Back to Basics Pet Food
Nutro Canine & Feline Pet Food Products
Precise Pet Products
Pet Guard Canine & Feline Pet Foods
Canidae & Felidae Pet Foods
Natura Pet Products (Including Innova, California Natural and Healthwise)

Looks like some research is in order.

UPDATE: If you want a TOTALLY heart breaking experience, follow the first link in this post until you find out about IAM's cruelty to dogs. There is a video, too. I wasn't able to watch more than about 2-3 seconds. Suffice it to say, IAM's will NEVER be getting my business.

UPDATE II: From the first link, above:

Dogs wouldn't eat this stuff in the wild, so why will they eat it out of their bowls? Their noses are tricked by the smell of it. The smell of animal fats for dogs and fish oil for cats is sprayed on the dry, bland kibble bits to make them appetizing. These flavors usually come from rendered restaurant grease, animal fat, or other oils unfit for human consumption.

Huge conglomerates use pet food companies as a cheap, and even profitable, way of disposing of the waste from their human food companies. Three of the five major pet food companies are owned by these huge corporations.

Who owns what?

Nestle: Alpo, Fancy Feast, Friskies, Mighty Dog, Purina One
Heinz: 9 Lives, Amore, Gravy Train, Kibbles-n-Bits, Nature's Recipe
Colgate-Palmolive: Hill's Science Diet
Proctor & Gamble: Eukanuba and Iams
Mars: Kal Kan, Mealtime, Pedigree, Sheba, Waltham's

Well, looks like I have to boycott P&G--but I suppose that's more easily said than done? I suppose they make a ton of things I don't have the first clue about?

UPDATE III: American Natural Premium looks intriguing, from Cedarburg, WI, and I can supposedly find some up the road, in Woodstock, IL.

UPDATE IV: Heavens t'Betsy! Who knew you shouldn't feed your dog persimmons? No tobaccy, either! D'OH!

Comments

Popular Posts