My First Community Supported Agriculture Basket

Last night, I picked up my first box of produce direct from the farm. If I can remember correctly, it contained:

Two pints of strawberries
Four or five kiwi fruits
Four apples
Two bunches of garlic
Some green onions
A bag of spinach
A bag of mixed greens
A bag of lettuce
A half dozen eggs
A big bag of some sort of lima/fava beans.
A bunch of some herb I haven't identified yet

I ate one apple right away, and it was amazingly sweet and crunchy. Reminded me of my days picking apples on the bluffs above the Mississippi.

The eggs were a motley crew. Most were varying colors of light brown, but one had a gray tinge. And one of the brown eggs was much smaller than the others. I boiled the gray egg along with a standard AA egg from the grocery store, and when I cracked them open, I noticed that the farm egg had a much deeper yellow yolk. I hope that's all those extra omega-3s. I didn't notice much difference in taste, though.

And this morning, I had freshly sliced strawberries on top of my grape nuts.

Postscript: Rest in peace, Letters from the North. I'm feeling teh sad.

Comments

Popular Posts