Oakland: A City of Many Facets

Today, instead of taking my usual afternoon walk through the well-groomed streets of Piedmont, I decided to do some exploring of Oakland, and I came across some interesting places.

Thanks to Google, you can follow along, by clicking the following link:

My walk today, as plotted by the new Google "My Maps" feature.

First, I walked down to Lake Merritt, and was almost run over by a speeding car as I crossed Lake Park Street to get to Splash Pad Park. I was almost run over again, when I crossed Lakeshore at the Cleveland Cascade. Both times, the women who were barrelling down on me (one in a Prius) looked very apologetic. After I crossed Lakeshore, and old man smiled at me and said, "They just don't want to slow down."

After walking through the pleasant neighborhood of Haddon Hill, I skirted Borax Smith's old estate (now Oakland High School) and headed over to Ivy Hill. As I walked down 24th Street, I began to feel like I was in a tougher neighborhood. At the corner of 10th and 24th, I came across a woman screaming: "Don't do it! Don't do it! If you love me, don't do it!" Then she got into a car and sped away. The people she was yelling at looked disturbed and confused.

I headed up 11th Avenue, and I came across a faded neighborhood of giant Victorian mansions at 11th and Bella Vista. This apparently was once one of the more fashionable neighborhoods of Oakland, judging from the houses. I walked down Bella Vista a little way to check them out. Some of the old mansions had been fixed up or were in the process of being fixed up, but many looked to be run-down rooming houses.

As I walked down the hill from Bella Vista, a pit bull puppy ran up and would not leave Morgan alone. I finally had to pick it up and hand it to the little girl who was haphazardly trying to catch it. She asked me if Morgan was a pit bull, too. I said, "No, she's a pointer!"

I crossed 580 at Park, and finished my walk by ambling through the shaded streets of Crocker Highlands, where the elite of Oakland currently live.

Comments

Popular Posts