All I Want to Do Is Make Love to You

I have a new ipod shuffle, and I'm using it to listen to a very random mix of songs while I walk the dog. I've found that having a soundtrack while tramping through the streets in the dark has given me a new perspective on some songs, even ones I've heard a hundred times before.

I discovered that I don't like "Sister Golden Hair" as much as I thought I did -- and that Charley Pride sounds tired when he's singing "She's Just An Old Love Turned Memory."

But my biggest surprise happened tonight when "All I Want to Do Is Make Love to You" by Heart came on. I've never paid much attention to this song, and I'm not even sure why it is on my hard drive. It's the story of a woman who picks up a man on a rainy night, goes to a motel where she's been many times before ... and you know the rest:
We made magic that night.
Oh, he did everything right,
He brought the woman out of me,
So many times, easily.

Or at least I thought I knew the rest. But in the last verse we find out that the woman's husband is sterile, and that night in the motel "[they] walked in the garden, [they] planted a seed," and years later when she runs into the fellow again, she says, "You can imagine the surprise, when he saw his own eyes." She tells him:
Please, please understand,
I'm in love with another man,
And what he couldn't give me
Was the one little thing that you can.

Of course, this raises many more questions than it answers. If she was in love with her husband, why didn't they go to a fertility clinic? And why had she been to that motel so many times before, if all she wanted was to start a family?

Does anybody know the answer?

Comments

Popular Posts