Two Shilling Library Update

I've made another step forward in my quest to read all 24 books in Macmillan's Two Shilling Library of 1899. I finally finished "Marooned" by W. Clark Russell. I started it quite a while ago, but I interrupted my progress by reading the third and fourth books of George R. R. Martin's "Song of Ice and Fire" series in between.

I was distracted from reading "Marooned," because it started out quite slowly, with lots of long descriptions of shipboard life filled with obscure sailing terms. But when the main characters are marooned (on page 177), the story picked up its pace quite a bit. My favorite line, expressed when the hero comes across his beautiful companion combing her hair:

"Perhaps it might be married people only that a scrupulous mutineering crew would think proper to set ashore."

I have four books left in the Two Shilling library to read:

"Leah" by Annie Edwardes
"Kith and Kin" and "Aldyth" by Jessie Fothergill
"The House by the Churchyard" by Joseph Sheridan Le Fanu

I haven't been able to find "Leah" or "Aldyth" at a reasonable price, so it might be a while before I reach my goal.

Comments

Popular Posts