Woodlawn Courtyard



When I first got out of college, I moved into a tiny apartment with my brother, Matt and my friend, Glen, at 5224 South Woodlawn on Chicago's South Side. It was only a one bedroom apartment, so Glen got the bedroom, while Matt and I slept in the living room (because Glen was paying most of the rent). It was the nastiest place I ever lived. Almost all the windows faced onto a dumpster-filled alley, and there were roaches everywhere. I remember the roaches even took up residence in a guitar case we had lying around. And, to top it off, the place was broken into one evening while all of us were out. Luckily, the only things I owned worth stealing were my White Sox cap and some bus tokens. (I think Glen suffered more serious losses.) There was an old lady who lived in an adjacent apartment who would stare at our every coming and going, but who somehow missed the burglar's arrival or departure.

I was reminded about this hell hole when I came this website. The old building's come up quite a bit in the world since I lived there, and now goes by the name "Woodlawn Courtyard."

Addendum: I should mention that the best thing about the place was that it was across the street from a Harold's Chicken Shack, where I grabbed many a cheap meal. Here's some pictures I found on the web of that very Harold's:



Comments

Popular Posts