Thank You Again, Al Gore!

The other night, I was walking down Ranleigh Way in Piedmont, and I noticed something strange. The street felt more barren than before. As I looked around, I determined that all of the trees that, as recently as two weeks ago, had lined the street had been chopped down.

Were this fifteen years ago, I would have simply scratched my head and thought, "that's strange." But this being the internet era, I came home and conducted a google search for two terms: "Ranleigh" and "Piedmont."

And, eureka! I discovered from this PDF put out by the Piedmont City Council that the removal of the trees had been a contentious issue, with some homeowners complaining that the liquid amber trees were damaging their foundations and others taking my view of the matter, that the street without the trees looked pretty desolate.

And as a side bonus, I found out that the architect of our failure in Viet Nam, Robert S. McNamara grew up on Ranleigh Way, but presumably before the liquid amber trees were even planted.

Comments

Popular Posts