Why Is J. Crew Lying to Me?

I recently had a pleasant interaction with J. Crew's customer service. I emailed them about a pair of chinos I had recently bought, because the fabric felt scratchy and uncomfortable to me. I received a response within twenty-four hours, on a Saturday no less. My initial thought was that J. Crew is a company that's really taken the customer-focused business model to heart. Here is the email I received:
Dear Peter:

Thank you for contacting J.Crew.

We apologize for the problem you described with your recently purchased
essential chinos. After searching our records, we are guessing you are
referring to your order number 107341051438 placed 12/7/07 for the
British Khaki slim fit Essential chinos, item 64782.

The fabric has not been changed for this item. We use the same gently
washed two-ply cotton twill for a crisp look that's laid-back yet
refined. The essential chino fabric is different than our Broken-in
chino fabric in that it is a bit more "crisp" because it is washed less.

If we can be of further assistance, please let us know by responding to
this email at contactus@jcrew.com or calling a J.Crew Associate at
1-800-562-0258.

Sincerely,

Lisa

The only problem is that, after I received this friendly email, I pulled out a pair of chinos I bought last year and compared them to the pair I bought this year. The newer pair definitely has a cheaper, thinner, more scratchy fabric. My message to J. Crew: it's only good customer service if you tell your customers the truth.

Comments

Popular Posts