An Uncouth Inscription

This weekend, I bought an old printers block for $7:



Upon close inspection, I was able to decipher the inscription on the block as "Refrigeri Januarius Agatopus Felicissim" -- which turns out to be an inscription from the catacombs of Rome:
The catacomb of Praetextatus, from many ancient references, was known to be rich in historic memories; and when part of it was being carefully excavated, and the heaps of earth and rubbish removed, a large and carefully decorated crypt or cubiculum was uncovered, the peculiar masonry and decorations of which experts referred to the times of Antonines; scratched in the plaster of a fast fading fresco of the Good Shepherd on the wall was the following uncouth inspcription containing these words and fragments of words:--

. . . MI REFRIGERI JANUARIUS AGATOPUS FELICISSIM . . . MARTYRES.

I tried using this block-print as my new bookplate, but when I rubbed ink on it and pressed it onto an end paper, I only created a square blob, with the uncouth inscription illegible.

Comments

Popular Posts