Stuff Of Life

So, I was doing some cleaning, this morning. As I was putting away my small, leather backpack, it occurred to me that I bought that in Jerusalem--approximately, 17 years ago. At least, I think it was Jerusalem--somewhere in Israel, at any rate. I have vague memories of the purchase, seems like it was in the Old City, but I confess my memories of the time are generally pretty vague, so I can't really elaborate much. Perhaps, my friend, Sei, might remember the circumstances. Now, I'm almost 41 years old. Not as old as Dad--if it's years you're going by, anyway--but it sure seems old enough.

One thing, I do remember. When we first arrived in Israel, our host and employer invited us inside his home for a bit. I noticed that he had a calendar (or, perhaps, he showed it to us? I don't really remember), and one of the pictures (likely, December, seeing as how it was December at the time) showed Jerusalem in the snow. Which I thought was the coolest thing. So, I inquired as to whether Jerusalem often had snow, and our host responded that was very rare. But, of course, as some may know, on the day I left Jerusalem, bound for London and home, there was a light snow covering the ground. And it was the coolest thing. Except, maybe, for the sun rising over the Moab mountains, when it's still cold outside, and you are sitting in a desert--that's pretty cool, too.

Recently, someone asked me what I do for fun. I couldn't think of anything, so I said: I walk my dog. Which is, indeed, fun, but not quite as much as it used to be, because I can only walk for about 45-60 minutes before my ankles start aching, which causes my feet to ache, and then my legs, and then my knees... I used to take ibuprofen to help with that, but then, one time not too long ago, my oldest brother seemed shocked at the idea that a person would use such a thing above once a year or so, if that (my impression--not actually what he said), so I stopped using it as much as possible. I keep thinking that I will take my oldest brother's advice and get some exercise and that should help. But that hasn't happened yet (unless, of course, you count walking the dog). So, mostly, I just ache.

But I guess that's life.

(Ok, Rainey, yes, it's time to go, just let me get my shoes...)

Comments

Popular Posts