Yard and Garden Update, Part II

Today, in celebration of Mother's Day, I took some more pictures of my yard and garden:


This is the shady spot of my yard, where I planted an ornamental asparagus, a fern, an azalea and a hydrangea. The hydrangea will determine the pH of my soil. So far the petals of its flower are reddish, so that means I have alkaline soil. On the other side of the old koi pond from the azalea, I'm going to put the Countess of Haddington rhododendron.



I read that this saucer plant only flowers once and then dies. I'm not sure if that means the whole thing is about to die, or just the branches with flowers.

Here's my backyard.

When I was a kid, my mom let me grow something new every year beside our house. One year, I picked anise, one year chamomile, one year mustard greens and one year southernwood. In remembrance of that time, I planted a southerwood plant outside of the front of my house--it was a couple weeks ago, but it was in honor of my mom for Mother's Day!


Morgan is guarding the front of the house.

This is a cestrum aurantiacum, relative of the more common night blooming jessamine. This one has orangish-yellowish flowers and not as strong a smell (so I read).

My war of the roses rose is still chugging away, but still nowhere near ten feet tall.


In order to begin filling up the expanse of gravel in front of my house, I bought some heirloom dahlias and followed the instructions of how you should plant them exactly. That meant driving a stake into the ground, planting the bulbs six inches below the ground, covering them with four inches of soil, waiting for the bud to peak above ground and then covering them with two inches more of dirt. I hope that means they have a happy, successful life.



This is the clematis I planted by my front door. It's finally beginning to grow.

A thriving wormwood beside my hop vine.


I thought the vine above was a weed, but I'm beginning to think it's wisteria. I'm going to let it grow and see what happens.

Here's the herb garden. The sorrel, thyme and wormwood are thriving, the sage is doing okay and the tarragon is just kind of sitting there. But the best news is that the lovage is back from the dead (in front).



My mandevilla laxa is attacking a rose.

I seem to have lost the picture of my vegetable garden. The update is that the peas have powdery mildew, the chard is covered with bugs, and the hot peppers and sorghum haven't sprouted at all. So if we have an apocalypse, I'm going to be living on sorrel.

Comments

Popular Posts