1919 Panorama of Lake City, Minnesota

I was at a flea market yesterday, and I heard someone next to me say, "Is this a picture from California?" The vendor said, "No, it's somewhere in Minnesota. Lake City, and looking across to Pepin in Wisconsin."

I stopped in my tracks, and said, "You didn't say Lake City, that's my hometown!" I guess the guy knew at that point I was a sucker to buy it, so $35 later, I have the panorama hanging over my piano. Here is the inscription on the back:

July, 1919: Pictures (five negatives in panorama) taken by Lorraine Chalmers (Fenwick). View of Lake City, Minnesota and Lake Pepin, with Wisconsin across the lake. Seated right foreground on bluff called "Sugarloaf" are Lillian Hatch Chalmers on the left and Marie Nelson. Marie's mother, Ada Collins, is a first cousin of Lillian, who is Lorraine's mother"

Comments

Popular Posts