Woody Plants: Buddleia x. weyeriana

I continue the woody plant series with this butterfly bush from my front yard.  According to Alice Coats in Garden Shrubs and Their Histories, it is a cross between Buddleia davidii var. magnifica and B. globosa developed by Mr. W. van der Weyer at the start of World War I.  In Aristocrats of the Garden, E. H. Wilson says that one of its parents, B. davidii var. magnifica, is his favorite of the genus, but goes on to complain, "I do vigorously protest against the absurd name of 'Butterfly Bush' which some dealers would fain foist upon us as a popular name for these shrubs."

I liked this description of my hybrid in Modern Shrubs by E. H. M. Cox and P. A. Cox:

Neither of us happens to like the yellow-flowered B. globosa, as there are few shrubs where the flowers look so artificial, while its hybrid B. x weyeriana Golden Glow is one of the most hideous shrubs ever perpetrated on the gardening public. A typical catalogue description is orange-red shaded with pink and mauve, possibly accurate but what a mixture!

Here are some pictures of the offending bush from this evening:



Comments

Popular Posts