Oakland Freeway Plan of 1947

A while back, I was browsing old freeway plans for the San Francisco Bay area, and I came across this map of the Metropolitan Area Oakland California Proposed Major Street and Freeway Plan of 1947. What fascinated me about the map was this detail section of my neighborhood, Maxwell Park:


It shows the MacArthur Freeway, which currently runs north and east of the neighborhood, cutting directly through the heart of Maxwell Park, a couple blocks away from my current house. It's unimaginable now to think of an eight lane freeway in that location--it would have destroyed the neighborhood. But neighborhoods filled with just as many houses were destroyed by the eventual route. Compare this aerial view of the Laurel neighborhood (just down the hill from Maxwell Park) from 1946: 

www.historicaerials.com

With the same overhead view from 1968 after the freeway was built:

 www.historicaerials.com

Comments

Popular Posts