Oakland Walk--Tuxedo, Glenview & Dimond

In the spirit of my New Year's Resolution to update the Inter-Ocean Parabolic at least once a week--and with the realization that I am already a day behind on that resolution--I carried my camera phone with me on a walk this morning.  Oakland was named one of the 45 places to go in 2012 (just below London) by the New York Times, so I thought I'd take a picture of some less frequently visited areas.  Here is the route I walked:


View January 8, 2012 Walk in a larger map


This is a picture from the Tuxedo neighborhood, looking down 28th Street toward downtown Oakland:


Tuxedo is a middle class area on a hill above Highland Hospital. I believe the old wing of the hospital is being gutted as part of a seismic retrofit:


The mayor of Oakland is not very popular right now:


Next I crossed over into Glenview, which is a more upscale neighborhood across the freeway:


The spirit of Mitt Romney loomed over us for much of the walk:



Just below the Mormon Temple, I came across this great panoramic view of Oakland and San Francisco.  The air seemed especially clear this morning:



Back in Maxwell Park, here is Walnut Street, leading up the hill toward my house:


Back home again:

Comments

Popular Posts