In Memory of Kitty Wells

When I first began listening to country music, I bought a cassette of "The Kitty Wells Story" without really knowing who Kitty Wells was or what her music was like.   I remember that it even took me a while to find the cassette, not realizing that all of the Kitty Wells music was consigned to the bargain bin at that time.

But once I came to realize the true greatness of her talent, I wore that cassette tape out.   I eventually bought "The Kitty Wells Story" on LP, and then bought the original recordings of her songs on "The Queen of Country Music" four CD set. 

One time, driving from Chicago to Minnesota, I innocently asked my brother and his wife if they liked country music, and they said, "Sure!"  I popped "The Kitty Wells Story" cassette in the player, and ninety minutes later, I don't think they were that crazy about country music anymore. 

In 1993, this was my favorite Kitty Wells song, and I think it still is today:

Comments

Popular Posts